What is Basic Failure Analysis (BFA)?
BFA is the “no frills”, get down to business, problem solving tool for those closest to the real work. While Root Cause Analysis (RCA) may be defined 100 different ways in the marketplace, most would agree that it is an in-depth approach to solving higher visibility failures. However, what about the failures-of-the-day that do not injure people, cause regulatory concern and cost a fortune? They are just a continuous nuisance we are conditioned to live with. We learn how to produce our numbers in spite of these chronic failures. This does not have to be the case. BFA was designed specifically by the field, for the field. It is meant to adapt to these on-the-fly conditions and not to get stalled in paralysis-by-analysis! We see it, we solve it, we move on.
How Can BFA Help You?
- In tight times, we have less resources due to attrition and lay-offs. Just because people leave,this does not mean that the problems in the field go with them. Just the opposite occurs; we have less people to solve the same amount of problems. Therefore, we are likely to have an increase in the number of problems because we cannot keep up with solving them. BFA is a disciplined way to address tackling these issues and knocking them out one-by-one.
- BFA does not require the rigor of RCA because the types of failures being addressed have not yet caused the consequences where we would apply RCA. While the approaches are very similar, the rigor employed on data collection techniques in BFA is not as stringent. BFA gets down to
- BFA allows you to unleash the creativity of your workforce to resolve issues they see everyday and that they have the control over to eliminate. This allows the corporation as a whole to control the fix instead of the fix controlling operations.
- BFA is an economical way to transfer skills necessary to solve problems in the field. BFA is also available in a Train-The-Trainer (TTT) format for this purpose.
- BFA affects the bottom-line right now. ROI expectations should be in the range of 600% to 1000% for every dollar invested.